Tuesday, March 1, 2011

ITS ROBERTA DAY EVERYONE!!!!

Roberta
I'm having a lot of trouble writing this blog entry. I knew eventually I would have to sit down and talk about this since its such a big thing happening in one of our fellow competitors life right now. I'm just used to making fun of people eating cake or making jokes about sugar, it seems like a stretch for me to cover such a heavy topic... So i will just dive right in...

The morning we started the the 100SFD I got a voicemail from Alexis.

Through some tears and deep breaths, she told me that the night of Valentines Day her mother had passed away in her sleep. She said that she was going back home and something about a memorial service and that I should know what was happening... Then at the end she took a deep breath and with a laugh said something that amazed me, she said "And do not think this is going to stop me from kicking ass for the next 100 days!"

Alexis has been my close friend for years, she is a go-getter and a fighter, but this was crazy.

I immediately called her back to talk, we spoke for a long time about those deep things you talk about when someone loses a loved one. At the end of our conversation I tried and convince her that maybe she should just sit this one out. Go home and do what she needs to, eat some comfort food with her family and and mourn. Not to focus on a silly little thing like the 100SFD, I told her that we can start another one just for her when we finish this one and that I would join her. Alexis wouldn't listen to me (nothing new for her). She made an interesting observation, maybe this is JUST what she needs right now. Maybe this is a good thing for her. Eating all that junk only makes people feel bad and she already feels bad enough! If you don't know Alexis then you don't understand her power of influence, and I agreed that maybe she can turn this next 100 days into a positive thing and come out stronger on the other side.

I have been getting regular texts and calls from her for the past two weeks and she is a rock. She hasn't touched the stuff! I would have been snorting lines of pixie-stix and main lining chocolate (The hard stuff, DARK chocolate!) But Alexis is stronger than that, shes dealing with some serious deep shit right now and really rolling through the punches!


Alexis, we at 100SFD's salute your Herculean effort and hereby name March 1st "Roberta Hall Shimabukuro Day!" And on this day every year we will write an R and an H on our hands with a sugar free condiment, and then high-five an unsuspecting person! When you do this say "HAPPY ROBERTA DAY!"
Step 1- Place R and H on hand with sugar free condiment! I used mustard!

High-Five (Or Ten) an unsuspecting person and yell as loudly as possible...



"HAPPY ROBERTA DAY!!!!!!!!"





I have a feeling this is going to catch on like wild-fire! 

No comments:

Post a Comment