Sunday, March 20, 2011

The male nurses response to Tylers "rough day"

The night shift last night, after getting off work at 8 am the previous night

-1:30 pm, wake up after far to little sleep because my apartment complex has decided that 87 degrees is an appropriate temperature for indoors, play on my computer and prepare for my daily work out

-2:30-3:45, rep P90x to the fullest, on this particular day legs and back was the workout, I see alot of things on this blog about how tough the "LA workouts" are but i cant believe they're much tougher than Tony Horton can dish out, you think you're having a rough day try 90 seconds of one legged wall squats in the middle of an already intense leg workout!

4:00- 6:00 preparing dinner and getting ready for work, of course at this time of year this time of day is heavily influenced by how good the basketball game is on TV.  but generally this is when I enjoy an amazing sugar free protein shake then prepare some chicken and veggies for my dinner.  Luckily on this day my apartment complex decided to turn of all the hot water in the complex so I was able to enjoy one of those ice cold water baths that Tyler and Ashley always enjoy after their workouts.....I have to say I didnt find it quite as refreshing as a replacement for my normal shower.

6:00-7:00, drive to work, yes it takes me a full hour to go the ten miles from my apartment in Alexandria to the hospital I work at in Georgetown. You west coasters think you know what bad traffic is all about but you have no idea.  The capitol city has to have the WORST traffic in the US.

7:00-7:15, during this time we have shift report for the oncoming shift in the ER, luckily for me as the only sugar free shredder in the ER, this is usually the time that such world famous bakery's such as Georgetown Cupcake (from DC Cupcakes on the Food network) and every other baker who wants to be just as famous decides to bring by their, "samples of the day" in the hopes that by influencing a few public service attendants they can influence the world...but still I resist.

7:15 pm -0100 am, Work tirelessly to take care of unappreciative people, who generally think that I exist not only to cater to their medical needs but also to their personal needs....things I was asked last night...(this blanket isnt warm enough to you have another blanket warmer? Is this ice filtered because I cant drink this water if this ice is unfiltered!  Why did you put ice in my water, I cant take my pills if there is ice in the water? And the quote of the night from one of our frequent homeless drunks..."I cant believe you would give me a red apple! I only eat green apples you stupid cracker!"

1am, finally lunch time has arrived and I can enjoy my turkey sandwich and artificially sweetened diet soda that Tyler so graciously bequeathed me, but alas, it is one of the travelers last nights and cake has been ordered along with a plethora of non-diet sodas.  Easy right? Exactly all I had to do was socially exile myself from sugar socialization and explain no less than 5 times that I'm on a sugar shredding diet started by my friend who is a hand model in LA (love you tyler)

1 am-4:45am back to work through what is probably the easiest part of the shift..its mainly a blur of abdominal pain and college kids who cant hold they're liqour

5 am-7 am  this is where it gets really tough, the breakroom is a battlground of half eaten cake, untouched cupcakes and a box of doughnuts that came from God knows where!  (I literally dont know where these doughnuts came from, but I noticed the majority of them were chocalate covered)  At this point I shift to chugging bottles of water to stay full and creepily smelling half eaten pieces of cake.

7am -8am  My shift finally comes to an end, I shuffle out to my car in the freezing cold (not everywhere has 78 degree weather 24/7) and drive home to my apartment.  I usually sit on my couch for about 5-10 minutes and congratulate cadance on another sugar free day and then I'm back to bed to sleep through a day that's sure to be gorgeous only to get up and do it all over again........but I have to say

I'M 28 DAYS SUGAR FREE AND I WOULDN'T CHANGE A SINGLE GODDAM MINUTE OF IT!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This was amazing. I feel my days are the same except replace breakroom with teacher's lounge and patients with 140 nine through 12 year olds.

    Kudos DT for staying strong!

    ReplyDelete