Monday, March 7, 2011

The Charlie Sheen of Chocolate goes to Europe

Holla shuga free suckas! I'm loving it, I really am. I thought I'd write because it's been a minute.

I actually got really lucky for the kickoff, which tends to be the hardest part of any new habit for me & most humans, because I had that gnar flu (see emo pic). I don't tend to crave sweets when I'm sick. Haaaaay.

The journey has been surprisingly smooth! & let me tell you-- I wasn't a light sugar consumer in the past. I share my story today.

I was the Charlie Sheen of desserts. My fav high was chocolate, and after that, anything creamy. Sure I'd occasionally have something ghets like a snickers, but my palate was for the good stuff. The 3 for 10$ "artisan squares" yuppy cookies from Whole Paycheck. Godiva. At rock bottom I was selling to support my habbit, downtown Santa Cruz. Yup, I was a waitress at a restaurant called Chocolate. We served desserts called the Orgy (when my tables would ask me to join I'd say "Thanks, but I just like to watch."winky face. That reeled in the tips! if there were just 2 people, I'd recommend a glass of Boutille Calle-- pronounced Booty Call, so they could get the party started), Adult Chocolate Misbehavior... my favorite was a fresh baked big warm chocolate cupcake, heated & filled with hot, fresh made Ganache, covered in that redonkulous home-made whip, dusted in fine cacao... I'd stock the home-made truffles in the morning "Oh no, this one's shell is cracked, can't serve that... must stuff in mouth..."

I'm having flashbacks...

My pitt boss (the restaurant owner), David, was a real Kingpin. Learned from the top-dogs in the game, a bonafide, certified Chocolatier educated in France. He was getting pounds of the good stuff shipped in daily-- hazelnut chocolate from Belgium so creamy it melted upon contact with human hands- you had to wear gloves to handle it, the darkest from Venezuela, fine powder cocoa from Italy. He was the Tony Ventana of sweets, and he was grooming me to be a full on Shug Thug. And I was all in. I was up at 8 a.m. weighing out lil sacks of chocolate all morning, melting down 60 gram bags of the stuff into hot chocolates that had lady names-- white chocolate was Bianca, Italian Sofia, Mexican Frida, Belgian Belga. Served with a lady finger ever so carefully glued to your cup with that bomb whip. These hot ladies were working the street hard-- Pacific Avenue, downtown Santa Cruz, to be exact-- and making our customers' taste buds dance & sing, kept em coming back for more. & all the while I was skimming of the top.

Vanessa knows the scene, she popped in many a time for a tasty treat, a buzz. You never met a more sparkly enabler. She could partoke with the best of us. I was hooking up friends, supplying for parties...

It was the blurst of times.

So if anyone has ever stood before you as a sugar lover, it is I. Since those crazy college days waitressing, I've had more mellow times, for sure. Kept it light. Cleansed etc, haha. But I always kept a lil choco stash somewhere, & as Ash & Ty know from witnessing me devour the INSANE football cookie sandwiches Ashley made for the Superbowl, or the veritable buffet of sugary delights o Thanksgiving, if the stuff was in front of me, I macked it.

This 100 day journey's transition, though (I can hear my nana-- "She says mighty smugly for day 19) has been, like I said, surprisingly smooth.

But then again, I'm a competitor. My drive to rise to the challenge, bring my team with, revel in the failure of the opponents, probably outweighs even my love of the sweets.

Because nothing, my friend, and this is coming from a big dawg Sug Thug, IS SWEETER THAN THE TASTE OF VICTORY.

I want to take it up a notch. Cuz that's how I roll. I'm going to Europe-- the motherland of the creamy, choc dessert that once eclipsed my world. And I am saying No, Si'l vous plait. ahahahahah!

Let's do this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment